I started making this when I moved in with Husband (then-Boyfriend.) I think it’s why he married me. It goes well with rosemary Smashed potatoes (below). I’ve also included the order in which you can pull this easy dinner together.
1 pound ground Buffalo Meat
3 tbsp BBQ sauce*
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced well
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (yellow, white, red or shallots)
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp cracked black pepper
3 bay leaves
1 tsp fresh thyme
1/2 cup Bread Crumbs. I make my own Gluten-Free ones by toasting diced Udi’s bread and then crumbling them up.
Heat oven to 375. Mash up all ingredients but the bay leaves and make a Meat Loaf in a pan. (I use a 9×12 pan and just smoosh it all to one side, it takes up about 1/2 the pan.) It’s kind of gross but you really have to get your hands all meaty. Decorate with bay leaves on top.
Bake 45 minutes to an hour, checking often after 45 minutes. Inner temperature of loaf should be at least 160 degrees, and this meat loaf tastes best when cooked medium (not pink in the center).
Rosemary Mashed Potatoes
In a pinch, you can just use olive oil and a tiny bit of water, skipping the margarine and milk. They’re still yummy!
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, skin on and cubed
- 2 tbsp butter, margarine such as Earth Balance, or olive oil
- 2 tsp each rosemary, cracked black pepper, and sea salt
- 1/2 cup milk, unsweetened soy or almond milk.
- Preheat oven
- Cut up potatoes, mine onions and garlic
- Compile Meatloaf and press into pan, put in oven.
- 25- 30 minutes into the bake time, boil water and cook your potatoes
- Drain potatoes, check meatloaf; if done, bring out to rest
- Season and Smash potatoes, check meatloaf again; if done, bring out to rest